This holiday weekend many of us are celebrating Independence Day with friends and food. Grilling, barbecuing and enjoying warm summer nights with delicious food and great company. So while the meat (or fish) is on the grill, make a refreshing cabbage salad that’s easy to make and oh so delicious. Crunchy shredded cabbage, thinly sliced onions, crispy green apples – this simple summer salad is a classic Russian side dish.
Summer Cabbage Salad
1/2 medium green cabbage
1/2 medium onion (or 3 stalks of green onion)
1/2 green apple
1/2 cup chopped parsley (or dill)
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1) Clean and finely shred green cabbage. Place into large bowl and squeeze with your hands to release the juices.
2) Dice green apple into small, bite size pieces.
3) Thinly slice onions. You can also use green onions for a more summer flavor.
4) Rough chop parsley or dill.
5) Squeeze half a lemon and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive olive and mix.